About Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (airport code: CLE) is a public airport located 9 miles from the central business district of Cleveland, Ohio. It is the largest airport in the state of Ohio and as of 2009 is the 39th largest airport in North America.
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport Facts
- The airport was founded in 1925, making it the first municipally owned airport in the United States.
- Had the first air traffic control tower.
- Had the first ground to air radio control and the first airfield lighting system.
- The airport was named after its founder, former city manager William R. Hopkins, on his 82nd birthday in 1951.
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport Top Destinations
- (ORD) Chicago O'Hare, American, United
- (IAH) Houston, United
- (MDW) Chicago Midway, Southwest
- (CLT) Charlotte, United, US Airways
- (ATL) Atlanta, Delta, United
- (BWI) Baltimore, Southwest, United
- (LAS) Las Vegas, Southwest, United
- (EWR) Newark, United
- (LGA) La Guardia, American, Delta, United
- (DFW) Dallas Ft. Worth, American, United